- Commonly cotton lint is white. But, some cotton varieties bear colours.
- Naturally Coloured Cotton (NCC) is naturally pigmented fibre that grows in shades of brown, green, tan, blue, black etc.
- Vaidehi-95 developed by ICAR-CICR, Nagpur with properties Lint Colour: Dark Brown; UHML: 21.4mm,Micronaire Value: 3.4; Fibre strength: 22.6 g/tex is used for product development
Value Added Products from NCC
- ICAR-CIRCOT took up the challenge for commercialization of these varieties and successfully developed technology to spin good quality yarn though the cotton grown has short staple length.
- Various products from this fabric such as Jackets, Handkerchiefs, Infant wears have been developed out of NCC spun yarn.
- These products are 100% chemical free, has very high wash durability (due to inherent colour), soft feel and skin friendly.
Advantages of NCC
- The fabric has inherent anti-microbial, UV protective and better comfort properties
- Farm to fabric conversion without chemical processing
Collaboration with SAU to increase the Availability
- Availability of NCC is very limited due to limited cultivation
- ICAR-CIRCOT signed MoU with Dr. PDKV Akola (SAU) to cultivate NCC in 25 hectares of land to increase the availability of the lint.
- The Agri-Business Incubation (ABI) Centre of the institute is promoting entrepreneurship and incubation of startups for “Product Diversification of Naturally Coloured Cotton” in line with ‘Make in India’ Program.
- M/s Kotak Commodities, Mumbai registered with ICAR-CIRCOT-ABI Centre as Incubatee for commercialization and popularizing different products from Naturally Coloured Cotton.
ICAR-CIRCOT, Matunga, Mumbai 400019.
Web: www.circot.res.in; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org